sunMAX User Guide – Chapter 5: AC Module Assembly
The AC Module is a Solar Panel with a Microinverter installed. For ease of installation, assemble the AC Module and attach the required cabling and support clips prior to transferring the AC Module to the roof.
Installing the Microinverter
- Stand the Solar Panel up against a sturdy wall or lay it on a flat surface that will not scratch the top side of the panel. The pre-installed junction box should be facing you on the upper half of the Solar Panel.
- Note: Do not sit or place heavy objects anywhere on the Solar Panel.
- Position the Microinverter into the Solar Panel and slide it up along the edge of the frame until the holes line up at the top. Ensure that the neighboring side of the frame edge sits in the slotted edge of the Microinverter, which secures it to the frame.
- Connect both cables on the junction box to the DC ports on the Microinverter until you hear them snap in. Each connector is uniquely shaped to prevent reversal during the installation. The Solar Panel will now be referred to as an AC Module.
Installing the Cable Support Clips and Y-Cable
Before attaching Cable Support Clips and Y-Cables to the AC Module, decide whether your solar array will be configured for portrait or landscape orientation.
- Portrait AC Modules require two Cable Support Clips and a Y-Cable, model SM-YC-P4.
- Landscape AC Modules require three Cable Support Clips and a Y-Cable, model SM-YC-L4.
- Stand the AC Module up vertically against a wall so that the Microinverter is in the upper-right corner as
you face the underside surface of the panel.
- Attach the Cable Support Clips to the AC Module by performing the following steps:
- Slide the first Cable Support Clip onto the inside edge of the frame, halfway between the Microinverter and junction box.
- Using your thumb, press the top of the Cable Support Clip over the front edge of the frame until it snaps into place.
- Slide the second Cable Support Clip onto the inside edge of the frame, halfway between the junction box and the left corner edge of the AC Module.
Note: Position the Cable Support Clips along the edges of the AC Module so that the Y-Cables and Jumper Cables do not sag during installation.
- Slide the third Cable Support Clip onto the inside edge of the frame, approximately 12″ (305 mm) from the left corner edge of the AC Module.
Connecting Y-Cable to Microinverter
- Using the AC Disconnect Tool, remove the Protective Cap from the Power Connector on the Y-Cable.
- Plug the Power Connector on the Y-Cable into the AC Port on the Microinverter. The Power Connector is keyed to fit one way into the Microinverter.
The AC Module is now complete and ready for installation.
sunMAX Solar Panel in Portrait Configuration
sunMAX Solar Panel in Landscape Configuration